developed from his fine art, illustration and animation creations, in the form of comic books,
and an illustrated poetry eBook. His search for new ideas and experimentation with new techniques, styles and media is ongoing.
With a pencil, I draw onto the canvas the outline of the image from which I am working. I start filling the canvas with paint medium until all areas of the canvas are completely covered. Once dry, I continue to add layers of paint medium until I've achieved the desired detail. A few months after drying, l will add a mixture of damar varnish on oil paintings as a protective layer. It brings out the richness in the colour. A similar acrylic medium is applied to acrylic paintings for the same reason. Reference images used for my paintings are from my own photographs taken in my surroundings.
I create my digital artwork using design and art software such as Affinity Designer, Affinity Photo, Clip Studio Paint EX, Krita, Artrage and Mypaint. I use a digital pen and a 22-U-mini Bosto intuitive monitor to create on. It mimics the feeling of creating a traditional artwork, whether it be drawing or painting. I consider the creative input, the hours spent and costs on this type of work similar to that of a traditional media.
I create my animation using digital animation software (Moho Pro, Harmony Advanced, Toon Boom Animate, Toon Boom Studio, Clip Studio Paint EX, Krita and Open Toonz). I create augmented reality
artworks using the ARTIVIVE App
. The style of work depends on what I and the client would like to achieve. My main style of work is 2D cut-out and 2D digital animation. For a 2D cut-out style, I would photograph and scan the artwork into photo editing software and create layers by cutting out each moving part. In the animation software these parts are given bones, and sometimes a mesh warp, to help them achieve the movement I would like to see. Sometimes I create an animation before a script evolves. I would see a moving image in my imagination, create it and build a story around it.
Technology plays an integral part in
the creative process of my work. Augmented reality has made it able
to look at my artwork in a different way. The Artivive App
one of my best assets to enhance my artwork. It has allowed me to
link an animation or create visual depth perception, creating an
augmented reality in front of the artwork.
My Process for Creating an Artivive Augmented Reality Artwork:
Once I have created the animation or digital
image layers, MP4 animation video files or PNG image layers are uploaded
along with the target JPG image (artwork) to the Artivive Bridge website. Size, shape, distance and chroma-key (green screen) of the uploaded files can be manipulated in the 3D workspace environment on the A
rtivive Bridge website.
Once the project is processed, it is automatically linked to the
. Once the App is downloaded and opened on your mobile
device (smartphone or tablet), hold the device in front of the
artwork to access the augmented reality. It uses the device camera to
view the artwork and in turn, the augmented reality will be activated.
A Youtube video about my process can be seen HERE
A video of a selection of my Artivive augmented reality artworks can be seen HERE
Awards and Competitions:
2012 Vuleka competition, SA Art Times Merit Award. 2013 Iheed Animation 1st place Award.
2020 Artivive Top 10 UN Peace Poster International Competition.
Feel free to contact Benjamin with regards to creative work, commissions, collaboration, teaching or advice.
If you are interested in purchasing artwork, his work is available at South African Artists online gallery
as well as current and upcoming solo and group exhibitions which are listed on this website.
Click HERE To order Benjamin Mitchley's Artivive Augmented Reality Limited Edition Prints and Postcards and Comic Books.
Animation Projects and Shorts can be seen on his youtube channel, BenjAnim
Visits to his studio are by appointment only.
- Sanlam Vuleka Exhibition, 2003.
- Sanlam Vuleka Exhibition, 2004.
- Obz Art Walk, 2003.
- SoulPIE Exhibition - 38 Special Art Gallery, Cape Town,2003.
- Aroma Cafe, Loop Street, Cape Town, 2003.
- Granny Feel Goods, Main Road, Green Point Cape Town, 2003.
- 'Picasso' Red art gallery, Steenburg village, Tokai, 2003.
- Strada restaurant, Munich, 2005/2006.
- Koenig Bistro, Munich, 2006.
- Hof Christmas market, Germany, 2006.
- The Studio art gallery, Clarens, 2007.
- Richard Renni gallery, Clarens, 2007.
- Solo Exhibition, Spirit, The Arts Association of Bellville, Cape Town, 2008.
- 'My Country, My Land', Hyde Park Gallery, Johannesburg, 2009.
- 'Green, Organic, Nature, Nurture', Hyde Park, Jhb. Food and Trees for Africa, 2009.
- 'Gallery On The Side' Four Ways, Johannesburg, 2010/2014.
- Sanlam Vuleka Exhibition, 2012, Merit award.
- 2nd Annual Group Miniature Exhibition, Art Lovers 1932 Gallery, 9 May 2013.
- In celebration of Portugal Day, Group Exhibition, Art Lovers 1932, 8 June 2013.
- Don't let that Horse, Ode to Chagall, Group Exhibition, Art Lovers 1932, 25 June 2013.
- Turbine Art Fair, Johannesburg 2013.
- Art Lovers 1932 - Erotica group exhibition 19 Sept to 2 Oct.
- Art Lovers 1932 - Mixed Media Duo exhibition with Johan van Staden in conjunction with Gordon Froud - Alice in Wonderland group exhibition, 3 Oct. to 16 Oct. 2013.
- The Alfred Mall Gallery, V&A Waterfront, Cape Town, 2014.
- Gallery On The Side Four Ways, Johannesburg, 2014
- Pretoria Art Association members exhibition, 2016.
- Annual Group Miniature Exhibition, Art Lovers 1932 Gallery, 2017.
- Solo exhibition, Moments, Trent Gallery, Pretoria, 20 April 2018.
- 'at Midnight'group exhibition, Johann van Heerden Art Gallery, Pretoria, 1 June 2018.
- 'Spring' group exhibition, Art Lovers 1932, 13 September to 27 September 2018.
- Solo exhibition, Moments, Johann van Heerden's Art gallery, Pretoria, 13 September to 22 September 2018.
- Comic Con Africa 14,15,16 September 2018.
- End year A5 Group Exhibition, Johann van Heerden Gallery, 1 December 2018.
- 'Postcards from the edge' group exhibition, Johann van Heerden Gallery, 20 January to 18 February 2019.
- Solo 'Characters & Concepts', Long Street Art Lovers 1932, 31 January to 12 February 2019.
- 'Ophelia' group exhibition, Trent Gallery, 1 to 14 March 2019.
- Language of Light: an exhibition of photography.
Long Street Art Lovers 1932, 14 March to 26 March 2019.
- 'Magnificent Moving Machines' Group Exhibition 31 March to 14 April 2019.
- FanCon, Capetown, 27 -28 April 2019.
- Solo 'Characters & Concepts', Johann van Heerden Gallery, 1 to 27 June 2019.
- 'Landscapes of my childhood', Johann van Heerden Gallery, 14 July - 2 August 2019.
- Comic Con Africa, 21 to 24 September 2019.
- 5th Ranetas VR Fest, Alcañiz (Spain,) 15 November to 1 December 2019.
- Kinkelkuns exhibition, Eldoraigne, 28 November to 1 December 2019.
- End Year Exhibition, Johann van Heerden Gallery 1 December 2019.
- Anual 'Postcards from the Edge' Group Exhibition', Johann van Heerden Gallery, 12 January 2020.
- '0202/2020' Palindrome Group Exhibition, ArtBox, Pretoria 02 February to 25 February 2020.
- 'New Dimensions' Group Exhibition', curated by Benjamin Mitchley, Johann van Heerden Gallery, 28 June 2020.
- 'Annual Winter Sale Group Exhibition', Johann van Heerden Gallery, 30 July 2020.
- Artivive UN Peace Poster Exhibition, UN Secretariat Building, New York 2020.
- Comic Con Africa Online 24-27 Sept 2020.
- 'Winged Creatures' group exhibition, Johann van Heerden Gallery, October 2020.
- '2020' end year group exhibition, Johann van Heerden Gallery, December 2020.
- 'Postcards from the Edge', Johann van Heerden Gallery, January 2021.
- 'Still Life Kudos Exhibition' Johann van Heerden Gallery, 7 February 2021.
- The Rabbit's Foot Group Exhibition, Johann van Heerden Gallery, 11 April 2021.